Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ferris Bueller's Day Off


Mickey Rooney has been gracious enough to take some time from his gardening tool expo tour to talk about his cousin Ed's role in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

1001: Did you know beforehand he would be in the movie?

Mickey Rooney: It was after. I was in Verona for a production of The Magic Flute and hadn't known he was in movies until these calls start coming in, saying I had to see him, he was really good. So, I saw the movie dubbed in Italian.

1001: No subtitles?

MR: It sounded like they used a girl to dub his voice. But the performance is so strong, it didn't matter. I know a thing or two about voices and it didn't bother me -because I was so proud of Ed, he'd really made it. What a great role for him, in such a popular movie!

1001: Ferris Bueller was very influential in the 80's.

MR: I wouldn't know, honestly that decade's a wash. It was opera all the time for me then; I lived for opera.

1001: Did you talk to Ed?

MR: I called him, of course, and said what a wonderful part it was, really playing to his strengths. He was always uptight growing up and they really gave him the right venue. That Ferris kid really riled him up, you know?

1001: You sympathized with Ferris.

MR: Never! I wanted Ed to wring his scrawny neck. Are you kidding?

1001: Did you like the movie?

MR: Sure. I would have liked it if Ed was more prominent. He was the one who needed a day off, not that punk. To tell the truth, I probably wanted to kill that kid more than Ed! (laughs) I would have taken that beret and made him eat it, really swallow the whole thing. Ed was too soft on him!

1001: Thank you for your time...

MR: That Bueller got off easy! They should have called him 'Fairy' not Ferris, and run him over with that fancy sports car. (laughs) But Ed, my cousin, such a beautiful soul. He really got gipped in that one. He was better in Howard the Duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment